Thursday, June 7, 2012

Blueberry Coffecake and Cheesy Surprises

I woke up with energy this morning, and was tired of the same ol same ol for breakfast, the kids whine when I make plain old eggs, all they want is pancakes or waffles.  And of course that gets old after a while, for me at least.  And since I've got 8 gallons of blueberries in the freezer from our blueberry expedition last week, and no I didn't blog about it, shame on me...  And since my kids are still in bed so I've got the time, woohoo!  I made blueberry coffeecake.  It was fun, I got to lick the honey spoon all by myself, plus the spatula, and got to eat several spoonfuls of batter without sharing, I'm having the time of my life here!  I highly recommend if you have kids that are awake to double this recipe, because they're going to want to eat batter, it's sooooo good, actually just double it anyway, leftovers are great.

Blueberry Coffeecake
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cream/coconut milk/milk/yogurt/whatever milky like substance you feel like using
1/4 cup honey
Stevia to taste
4 eggs
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp salt

Mix all of the above, you can do the proper thing and mix dry and wet separately, I never do and it always turns out fine.  Then put in a preheated oven, or not, if you're like me and forget, at 350 for 30-40 minutes til done.

And so, I completely forgot about taking a picture til I was on the last bite, and instead of getting up and getting the camera to document this momentous occasion, I just said "screw it" and ate it down.


But I do have pictures of the next part of this post, I decided, since I have lots of Zucchini, to make our favorite Cheesy Surprises.  This was a term my husband coined last year to get the picky kids to eat squash, I've since improved on the recipe and it's oh so yummy.

Cheesy Surprises
1 cup Almond Flour
1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp dried Onion Flakes (I love those things!)
Salt to taste

Mix all this in a bowl

Then beat 4 eggs, and slice up a bunch of zucchini, I cut them in half and then slice each half into big pieces, you can slice them into cute little circles, but that takes way more time and I'm all about time saving.  Then dip the slices into the egg, then into the flour mixture, then spread them out on parchment paper on a baking pan.






If you don't have parchment paper go out and buy some now, you cannot live without it.  I lived, barely, without it for many years, I only discovered it in the last year or two, and it's absolutely amazing.  I reuse mine several times, I buy mine from Azure Standard and it's not bleached or anything and it's also compostable.
Then throw it in the oven for a while, until they look done.  I'm not sure how long, I'm guessing 20 minutes or so at 350.


The thinner ones get super crispy and can be eaten like chips, I think I prefer the thicker ones though, the thin ones were a bit dry.  I may go with more Parmesan and less almond flour next time to see if I can remedy that.










We also cooked up some Tilapia in butter with a bit of Tony Sacheries (sp?) Yum, I know it's not a very nutritious fish, but I can't really handle Salmon, too fishy :(  I figure bland fish is better than no fish at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment