Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Best Pork Chops Ever and Breakfast Apple Pie

 Had another good day here, Ari is doing so much better at school.  I don't know if it's because we're sitting at  the new desk instead of on the couch, more formal maybe, but she's really starting to get the hang of sounding out words and getting better at sight words.   We had a pretty relaxing day other than that, got to stay home, clean house, cook bunches of yummy food...  I made what we call "Apple Pie" for breakfast, I don't really know what else to call it and that sounds good to the kids.  I fried up 3 apples in ghee until they were tender, then sprinkled cinnamon liberally over them.

While they were cooking I cracked 8 eggs into the blender, added 1/2 cup or so coconut milk, about 1 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg, blended it all up and dumped it over the hot apples then put it in the preheated oven at 375 for 20 minutes.  This was so good, I usually overeat it like crazy, but since it's super healthy it's not a problem, I have issues not getting enough calories, especially doing the Whole 30, so indulging is a good thing.   I've lost 4 pounds in 4 days, while eating all I wanted, I don't want to loose any more since I'm pregnant,
but I'd gained enough extra fat the first few months I think it's okay to loose a bit.  Thankfully I've had no other side effects of eating clean, probably because I ate rather clean before starting Whole 30, just had to cut sweeteners and dairy.  It seems most people go through horrible headaches, exhaustion, and other withdrawal symptoms, I had to deal with that for about two weeks when I first went Paleo two years ago, no fun at all but after you get through it you feel awesome so it's completely worth it!  Anyways, I ate leftover Sausage and Cabbage for lunch, I think it was even better than the first time, though in keeping with my new belief that everything is better with coconut milk I mixed in a couple tablespoons while heating it up.  And a few bites of Pumpkin Pie which I made from 3 butternut squash, 1 cup coconut milk, 5 eggs, spices, and 12 ground up soaked dates for sweetener.  It was excellent!

Finally, for supper I grabbed some pork cutlets out of the fridge, mainly because it was 4 something by the time I got around to it and the package was thinnish and I figured they'd thaw out quickly.  Putting them in a sink full of hot water does the trick so well and quickly, I don't know why this is a no-no according to the USDA, I've been doing it for years and haven't died yet.  Haven't given anyone food poisoning  either.  And then a quick search for a recipe didn't find me anything great looking, it was either the same ol same ol recipes, or took hours to cook.  So I kinda improvised on one recipe I found, again, wanting to do something with coconut milk, I salted and peppered the cutlets, browned them in skillet, then added pineapple juice and let them cook for a few minutes, then removed them and dumped in half a can of coconut milk and let that cook down a bit, then put the meat back in and added a can of mushrooms.  It would have been nice if I'd had fresh mushrooms or more than one can, but that's all I had.  This ended up being the best pork chop dish I've made so far, they were ridiculously flavorful and tender.  I quick steamed up some broccoli to go with it, and the sauce went with the broccoli very well, made boring ol broccoli into something delish!

Breakfast Apple Pie
3 large apples
2 tbs ghee or butter or coconut oil
8-10 eggs
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 375.  Fry sliced apples in oil.  Meanwhile put the other ingredients into blender and blend until frothy.  Dump egg mixture over hot apples and place into oven for 20 minutes or until done.

Butternut Squash Pie
2-3 Butternut squashes, cooked
1 cup coconut milk
5 eggs, or just the yolks if you have something to do with the whites
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
12 or so dates, soaked in hot water for a few minutes
Preheat oven to 350.  Throw everything into a blender and blend until smooth, taste it and add more dates if you think it needs it, or stevia, or honey.  Dump into pie dish and put in oven and bake for 45 minutes or until done, depending on how deep your pie dish is, mine was too deep and it took about an hour.

Pork Chops with Mushrooms and Coconut Milk
4 boneless pork chops
salt, to taste
ground black pepper, to taste
3/4 cup pineapple juice
3/4 cup coconut milk
3 tablespoons ghee, butter, or coconut oil
8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms, or canned
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Season pork chops with salt and pepper, and arrange in a single layer in pan. Pan-fry for 2 minutes on each side to brown. Pour in pineapple juice, and continue cooking for 6 minutes. Remove chops from pan.
Pour coconut milk into the skillet, and then add mushrooms. Increase heat to high; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Return chops to pan to warm.  Chow down!

No comments:

Post a Comment