Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Oven fried okra and eggplant no-parmesan


I got around to starting supper rather late, thankfully my husband was also running late at work so it wasn't too bad.  I had tons of veggies in the frig that needed to be used, plus my bag of okra in the freezer was finally full!  So I made Eggplant Parmesan, only to find out that I was out of Parmesan, oh well, no big deal, I can manage.  I dipped the eggplant in olive oil, then in a mix of almond flour, garlic powder, dried onion flakes, Italian seasoning, and salt. I didn't measure anything, who does that anymore anyway?  Then I laid them out on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven to cook.  Then I chopped up a ton of okra, threw it in a bag with the rest of the eggplant breading, spread it out on another cookie sheet and threw it in the oven as well.

A bit of cheese?  Well, it didn't look like so much before hand...
After about 15-20 minutes, the eggplant looked done so I took it out, put a bit of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish, layered the slices in the dish, slopped some more tomato sauce on top, and sprinkled a bit of cheese to top it off.  This could easily be made dairy free, just skip the cheese, but we like cheese and haven't any dairy allergies, thankfully!  I also got out some pork chops to thaw, but I don't know if I'm going to get around to making them, probably put them in a marinade and use them tomorrow.

The okra turned out good, I got tired of waiting and it wasn't crunchy, but certainly edible!  The kids love this and eat the heck out of it.  A good thing since they are picky about the eggplant.











Picnic time!  Did we forget something.... Oh, ya, clothes!  Oh well, we don't believe in clothes here, didn't you know?  Actually, they had decided to splash in the pool and stripped for that, then of course they didn't get around to redressing, who needs clothes anyway.  God didn't make us with clothes on!

No comments:

Post a Comment