Saturday, September 1, 2012

Empty the Frig and Garden Egg Frittata (Dairy Free!)

Well, today was another busy day, I have too many of those it seems, we found a piece of property that sounded too good to be true, and of course it was.  But we got to spend two hours hiking and driving around 160 acres and trying to figure out how to make it work, so that was fun at least, I got my exercise and the kids had a blast exploring.  Then I came home and weed-eated until I ran out of gas, then of course when I refilled it I couldn't get it started again, so I said  "screw it, I'm hot, tired, and covered in bits of grass, I want a shower!"  Then I sat my lazy ass down at the computer to try to come up with some new recipes, and actually found quite a few that sound great.  I've been using Pepperplate.com as it syncs with my iPhone, which is super convenient, that is, until they update it and I can't use it anymore...  Apple sucks, since it's a 3g I guess it's obsolete and 1/2 of the apps now won't work on it.  Very disappointing, especially since I got it for $10 off a moron and doubt I'll be able to get such a good deal on a newer one, and sure as heck won't be paying full price for one as I'm not a moron.  Ha, I bet I offended half my meager audience, sorry guys, but a $200+ phone that continues to cost you $80+ a month is ridiculous.  My free phone that costs me less than $10 a month works just peachy keen!  Anyways, off the soapbox, now to food, nothing offensive there, just super yummy goodness.


I still have several squash in my frig purchased from the garden up the road a couple weeks ago that really needed to be used, plus some absolutely adorable tiny eggplants that I had no idea what to do with.  Plus of course I wanted to use some of the massive amount of pig that's in the freezer, so a frittata sounded great! So I shredded a yellow squash and a zucchini and squeezed them dry and sliced up my cute little eggplants.




Then I ran out to the garden and picked what I could find, which was some bell peppers, chives, green onions, oregano, jalapeno's, and a few sad little tomatoes.  I'm short two children today which meant I could use the jalapeno's without worrying they'd complain about it being too hot.









I chopped and diced and shredded everything, threw the onions and peppers in a skillet with some coconut oil and cooked until tender.  Then dumped that all into my baking dish and cooked up the sausage real fast.  Then mixed it all together and there was barely room for the eggs, ah, I bet it'll fit.  So I put 14 eggs into the blender with 1 cup coconut milk, I also dumped in some garlic powder as I forgot to chop fresh garlic, and some Italian seasoning just for the heck of it. It did fit, though rather full, and I put it into a 350 oven for 35 minutes.  It turned out amazing, super flavorful and delicious, Chris had three bowlfuls, though he did say "not enough cheese".  Ha, there was no cheese and it didn't even need it!  Dairy free dish for the win!  And yes, I was too busy eating to take a finished picture, it's not super pretty so you're not missing much, the taste makes up for the looks :)


Umm, the recipe, umm, well, there's really not one, you can pretty much just figure it out from the above.  Oh heck, I'll try, here goes.

Veggie/Sausage Quiche
2 zucchini or yellow squash, shredded and squeezed dry
some eggplant sliced thin
2 bell peppers
1 large onion
3 jalapeno's (red ones make it pretty and aren't as hot)
1 or two tomatoes, diced
chives or green onions, chopped
1 or two pounds sausage, Italian or regular, I used 1/2 hot and 1/2 medium regular sausage
2 tbs coconut oil
14 eggs ( or whatever seems like a good amount to you)
1 cup coconut milk
garlic powder
Italian seasoning

Saute the peppers and onions and eggplant in a skillet with 1 Tbs coconut oil until tender.  Dump out into baking dish, add the other Tbs oil and cook the sausage, breaking it apart and crumbling it as you cook it, I like to take a potato masher to it.  Mix it all together in the baking dish.  Crack the eggs into a bowl or the blender, mix in coconut milk and spices.  Mix it all together and bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.











No comments:

Post a Comment