Saturday, May 26, 2012

Drag princesses and gardening

My son found some of his sister's dress up clothes and decided to try them on, this is the outcome.

I'm so beautiful
Oops, Cinderella lost her, um, his shoe

So then big sis had to get in on the fun and picture taking, the dress up clothes were a Christmas gift two years ago, they fit him better than they do her.
After the ball, with a bit of a hangover
Enough of adorable children...  Did you know that you could regrow celery!?!?!?!?  Organic celery costs close to $4.00 a bunch, and we can go through half a bunch just making Ants on a Log.  So I'm trying it out, the first time my celery had been in the frig a month, and then after I planted it the chickens dug it up twice and the dog once.  It tried to grow, but needless to say it failed miserably.  So I'm trying again, this one is taking off admirably well, I need to get it planted in the garden today, hopefully somewhere where the chickens can't get at it.  I did try to plant celery from seed this year, but it didn't make it, I planted it too late and didn't water it enough.  It seems to be rather delicate, I'll have to start earlier next year, and take better care of it.

One of the first "fruits" of my garden, besides greens, snow peas!  Of course, I could have been picking this a month ago, but I didn't get them planted as early as I should.  Now I need to find a good recipe for snow peas, I'm not a big fan of Chinese food, and that seems to be the main way to cook them.  I did find an Indian recipe for Potato's and Snow Peas, your supposed to use normal peas, not pod peas, but I don't care, I'm going to try it anyway.  This is the recipe I'm planning to try http://www.food.com/recipe/aaloo-mattar-indian-style-peas-and-potatoes-158223  
I'll let you know how it turns out.



Speaking of greens, here's my Kale, Collards, and Spinach.





And here's what they turn into: 

Saag Paneer
Chop up an onion and cook in butter
Chop up 3-4 cloves garlic and some fresh ginger and add to cooking onion
Add 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
1 1/2 tsp Coriander
1 tsp Curry
1/4 tsp Cayenne (if your kids aren't eating)
Stir that up then add a pound or so of greens.  Cook til wilted and tender.


Make this first, preferably a couple hours before hand. Dump a gallon or two of milk into a big pot, heat to 190 or so, dump in 1/2 cup or so white vinegar or lemon juice.  Stir until it's all separated into curds and whey.  Pour it all into some cheesecloth, stir in a tablespoon of salt or so and hang to drain.  Then chop into cubes and fry in butter.
Mix it all together and stuff your face!






3 comments:

  1. Oh, my the kids look hilarious! Love the "hangover" comment! Too funny!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful garden! Do you have any tips on getting cheap cinder blocks?

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steal them from your parents, that's what I did :) Well, actually, they gave me a bunch, the rest were here when I bought the place. I know sometimes you can get them from building sites, leftovers, but that'd take some effort. Other than that, I really don't know, my sister used cedar logs to make her garden, it looks awesome, she's got tons of cedar tree's on her property. Locust works great as well, lasts forever, doesn't Josh's family have a landscape company?

      Delete