Thursday, May 10, 2012

Welcome to my life!

I've been asked to start a blog by many different people (well, a couple).  There's so much going on in my life that I'd like to chronicle for myself, as well as others, and my handwriting is too bad to keep a journal, so I figure this is the way to go.   If I can find the time to do it regularly!  Note to ones self: Pray for more time, it'd be nice if God would make 36 hour days.  Well, my plan is to share our journey towards self sufficiency, and to also share the yummy recipes we come up with for all this food!

  Here on the farm we have dozens of new projects, we've (well, I've) decided that our goal is to become 90% self sufficient food wise, so the garden and livestock have become a major focus lately.  We also are in the process of digging a root cellar.



And building an Egg Mobile.  Oh how I can't wait to get the chickens out of my yard and down in the pasture to clean up after the cows.  Cleaning chicken poop off of feet gets old after a while :)


And planting a big garden.  So far I've got asparagus, 6 different kinds of tomatoes, jalepeno's, bell peppers, sweet peas, regular peas, climbing beans, bush beans, okra, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, kale, collards, swiss chard, spinach, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, spaghetti squash, acorn squash, hubbard squash, pie pumpkins, butter melons, watermelons, dill, basil, sage, parsley, chives, buckwheat, amaranth, and cowpeas.  The last three are for the chickens, I'm hoping to eventually grow my own chicken feed, though I'm not anywhere near that yet, just trying it out.  I think that's it but I may have missed a couple.  I way overplanted this year, but I was having so much fun!



So needless to say the house gets neglected a bit, but that's one of my goals as well, Organization!!!  I'm planning to get rid of or lock up all kid toys, I don't have time to clean up after them, or to stand over them forcing them to clean up for themselves.  I figure they don't need to be playing inside anyway this time of year.
This isn't actually too bad, I managed to find a bit of time to pick up yesterday.

Need to put a lock on this puppy!


So that's my introduction for the time, my kids are all awake now and bouncing off the walls, and whenever I sit down that's "climb all over mommy" time.  So I need to get up and fold the 6 loads of laundry waiting for me, wash a few dishes, pick up the house, clean the freezer, clean and organize the shelves in my kitchen, clean out the car, weed and mulch in the garden, and put fresh hay in the chicken nests.  Well, that's my list of things to do, anyone want to make bets on if it'll all get done?  Ha, we'll see...  I'll be back later, hopefully, with more interesting stuff about everything that's going on here!







No comments:

Post a Comment