Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Chickens, Cows, and Cheese



Wow, life has been busy and I haven't had much time with my computer.  We spent Mother's Day spread out between the three Mom's my husband and I have between us :)  So that meant Monday was "work your backside off day" to make up for having the day off Sunday.  My husband got a bunch done on the chicken house, it's got all the walls and roof framed out, I'm so excited, just wishing it was done.  I finally got sick of having a disgusting yard and locked the chickens up, they have a large grassy pen but still cluster around the door begging to be released to run free.   This picture also shows the shack they live in, I tacked it together without any help as it was supposed to be replaced quickly, unfortunately, it's taken much longer than that.  They don't seem to mind much though, it works.
Hopefully this next weekend we'll get the egg mobile finished and them out where their supposed to be.











The calves came up and wanted their picture taken so I obliged, actually, they wanted their bottle.  The one with the heart on her head was a couple days after Valentine's Day so she was named Valentine.  The other calf still doesn't really have a name, I decided since we couldn't think of a new name to just give her a previous calf's name, one that we sold a while back.  The kids don't agree, but I think it's fine, so I say her name is Cherry.







My Colby is ready to be waxed today, I made it two days ago, completely forgot to take pictures or blog about that...  But I'll document the waxing process at least.  I bought a pan at the thrift store for melting wax, as the pan isn't usable for anything but that for the future.  So when I was done with the cheddar, I just let the wax cool in the pan and stuck it in the cupboard for next time.  





Now I'm reheating it to dip the Colby in. Colby is a washed curd cheese that is simpler to make than Cheddar, and only has to cure 4-6 weeks, instead of the 2-12 months for Cheddar.  And I like Colby so I hope this turns out!  It looks kind of funny as it's got little pimples all over where the holes were in the mold, next time maybe I should leave the cheesecloth on the whole time, but I didn't want the wrinkles the cheesecloth left.  I guess I can't win.  I'm sure it'll still be edible.  I just wish my root cellar was finished, it's too hot to age at room temperature, and the frig is too cold, and I don't have enough extra room in my frig anyway.  But that's where it will go for now, until I come up with a better plan, or my root cellar gets done.  But I'm not holding my breath!  


Ready to age!  My lovely daughter made me the label, now we just have to be patient for another month.  Now I think I'll go make some Mozzarella, I'm ready for some instant gratification, I hate wait!(Princess Bride quote if you didn't notice)  I can't wait for my multitudes of Basil plants to get bigger, I made some Bocconcini, little mozzarella balls, marinated in pesto last year and it was to die for, except my dad stole it and ate it all.  Though I have to admit it was my fault, I accidentally left it at his house.  Oh well, I should have plenty of Basil this year and I'll make a bunch!


No comments:

Post a Comment