Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A super duper great day, and Zucchini Bread.

I woke up early this morning and have just had the best day, I got cows milked, kitchen cleaned, and floors swept and mopped by 9 AM.  Before you start to think I'm Miss Betsy Homemaker or something, note that this has never happened before and is unlikely to happen again.  Then while my kids cleaned their room, I got school stuff together, then we sat down and did our schoolwork.  (This is beginning to sound like a pleasant dream, it's actually not, I swear)  That went relatively smoothly, with not even a tear, again not the usual, Ari has a hate relationship going on with her Phonics book.  Then I chased the kids outside, nicely, no I'm not an abusive mother, and then I proceeded to make two batches of cheese, one of mozzarella, and one of paneer.  

Then I went out to the garden and picked a massive amount of basil, my plants are absolutely huge and beautiful.  Anyone need basil, or bell peppers?  I'd almost forgotten about the pepper plants as they've not really produced the last couple months, but I guess the cooler weather and rain has worked miracles, they were loaded.  Plus a very few little tomatoes and some okra. I get about that much okra every couple of days, not enough to eat, so I throw it into a gallon freezer bag in the freezer and when the bag is full I cook up a mess of yummy okra!  I've only had enough for about 4 batches this year, and it's so good, I'm planting 4 times as many plants next year.

And then I made a huge batch of pesto, yum!  I love fresh pesto and mozzarella, I just wish the tomato plants were bearing, I got a couple tomatoes, I can't decide whether to eat them or to save them for my husband.  He really likes pesto, cheese, and tomatoes, maybe I'll be nice and save them, I'm pretty stuffed right now with just snacking on the cheese as I was making it.  Next I got started on a double batch of zucchini bread, my kids have been wanting something special and I haven't made anything for ages, plus I've got a bunch of zucchini from the garden up the road.  I made some of it into Cheesy Surprises last night to eat with pork steak, from our freshly butchered pigs, oh super yummy goodness.  Speaking of pigs, I'm way past due for a post about them, I managed to not get around to doing it when they were alive, maybe I'll do one now that they're in the freezer.

And now, I'm worn out and I think it's nap time, though it's only 12:40, the kids are still outside playing so nicely.  I have such cooperative kids, they only come to the door occasionally to ask to be let back in and I just have to say "nope, no way, go away" and they are off again for another hour or so.  (I'm not actually that mean, or am I?)  I did give them peaches and a watermelon to eat to keep them happy, so I guess I'm not too terribly mean.

Here's the recipe for the zucchini bread, it was delicious.  Make sure to squeeze out the excess liquid, I grate it into a thin towel/piece of cloth, then wring it out as good as I could.  This is actually a double batch, so you can half it if you like.  I just had a ton of zucchini to use up.  And it's a good thing I did because we ate over half of it in basically one sitting.

Grain Free Zucchini Bread
1 cup almond flour
1 cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
6 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil
6 tbs honey
1 tsp vanilla
stevia if you think it needs it
2 cups or so of shredded zucchini,
with water squeezed out
1 cup or so chopped walnuts (opt.) (I forgot to add nuts, wish I had)

Grease a couple mini loaf pans, and/or some muffin tins, I don't have any mini pans and I ended up with one big loaf and 12 muffins.  Bake for 25 minutes for muffins, 35 for mini loaf, about 50 for full size loaf.


Most of it got eaten before I could remember to snap a picture.



No comments:

Post a Comment